|How-to||– 8 min read –||September 10, 2019|
How to optimize internal links
What is internal linking?
High-quality site linking allows you to keep visitors on your site longer and is also highly valued by search engines.
Internal linking rules
- Navigation should allow the user to go to any page of the site in no more than three clicks. If you place the page at a deeper level, then the search engines may not index it, or the page priority will be extremely small;
- as a rule, the menu contains pass-through links to all categories of the site that are accessible from any page, and on the logo, which is located in the header of the site, you set a link to the main page of the resource;
- you should use bread crumbs for convenient navigation. These are the user's path to the current page with links to sections and subsections in which it is placed;
- the number of circular links should be minimized — from the page to itself.
Internal links' checking
Link weight distribution
At the same time, make sure that all promoted pages receive a sufficient number of internal links, and that the number of links to irrelevant and not important pages is minimal.
Delete hyperlinks that are unnecessary for promotion. Otherwise, pages that aren't relevant to key phrases may occupy high positions. The situation when a page that doesn't match the query appears in the search results misleads the user. This leads to a high bounce rate. The visitor goes to the site but immediately leaves it without seeing the necessary information.
That's why it is important to check the contents of pages in the search results with user requests. This relevance check is available in the Serpstat "Rank Tracker" module:
- Go to the "Rank Tracker" module, select the essential project, and click "Continue".
- Then select the search engine, device type, region, language, and go on.
- After that, add key phrases that you can enter manually. Load them from a file or use the proposed options. You can also specify tags. Then click "Add".
Move to the "Keywords" subsection. The report shows the frequency of your keywords, your site's positions on them and their dynamics:
Analysis of search results and the URLs in it
What internal links of a site need to be removed or replaced?
Checking the site using Netpeak Spider
When optimizing internal links, it's important to consider the following points:
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)