|SEO||– 13 min read –||May 21, 2019|
19 Easy Ways To Improve Your Site Speed
As a webmaster or an internet marketer, the single best thing you can do to improve the performance of your campaigns is to improve the speed of your site. Here are some easy ways to improve your site speed:
#1: use a CDN
#2: make use of WordPress plugins
#3: choose a faster web hosting
I would recommend you to opt for dedicated hosting because this will guarantee the availability of dedicated resources. You can choose between a VPN or a dedicated server.
#4: leverage the power of image sprites
The biggest advantage that spriting offers is that it reduces the number of downloads required to get multiple images. With just a single download, you can increase the page speed drastically.
#5: add expires headers
#6: delete all unnecessary plugins
#7: compress your images
- your site will load much faster
- you will be able to take up site backups much faster
- smaller size images consume less bandwidth so there would be less load on your server.
You can use tools such as Image Compressor, OptiPNG, JPEGmini, etc. to compress your images online before uploading them.
#8: reduce the number of redirects
Redirects happen when the user requests a different resource than the one that is returned. Every form of redirect happens to decrease page speed. Especially in the case of mobile users, redirects tend to make a site load really slower, thereby degrading the user experience and decreasing conversions.
- newline characters
- whitespace characters
- block delimiters
HTML Minifier is an awesome tool aimed to remove all unnecessary characters from your codes. When they are removed, then your files load faster, resulting in great user experience.
#10: minimize RTTs
#11: enable HTTP keep-alive
#12: enable Gzip compression
You can take the Gzip compression test to check whether your site has Gzip enabled or not.
To enable Gzip compression on your site, follow the steps mentioned in this article.
#13: keep all your scripts below the fold
#14: consider lazy loading
#15: fix all broken links
#16: disable hotlinking
Hence, it is important to disable hotlinking because it indirectly reduces your available bandwidth and slows down your site.
You can prevent hotlinking of images by adding code into the .htaccess file. Follow this resource to get the code.
#17: regularly optimize your database
#18: use PageSpeed tools
#19: decrease liquid loops and optimize for mobile
- create AMP pages because such pages load faster on mobile devices. AMP is already a crucial factor for ranking highly in the organic search results for mobile
- have a refined site structure and a clear site hierarchy as shown in the figure below:
- keep a user-friendly URL structure and optimize your images, videos and other files
- put JS at the bottom and CSS at the top
- take the help of a mobile CDN
- use touch events that support simultaneous touches because it is both user-friendly and fast.
- get rid of duplicate categories and tags
- have a responsive site and use frameworks like Bootstrap because it helps you keep a site faster.
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)