|How-to||– 11 min read –||August 28, 2019|
How to identify the main competitors of the project
Why do you need to find competitors
- add additional key phrases to the semantic core for promotion;
- determine the most popular products, services or materials of competitors, learn what is highly demanded among users, and use the information on your own resource;
- evaluate the quality of the website and analyze the competitors' reference profile in order to understand how they are doing promotion, whether they use external links and how many;
- examine the website structure: the presence of sections and subsections, a specific functionality that can be used in your own project;
- find out how your competitor is successful in social networks, whether he uses contextual advertising and how much budget he spends on it.
When making a list of competitors, we classify them into three categories:
How to find website competitors
Manual identification of competitors
For example, let's enter the query "buy smartphone" in Google search:
If the target audience is in a different region, go to the search settings:
Google refine searches
Identifying competitors with Serpstat
Go to the "Competitors" subsection of the "SEO-analysis" module. Enter the URL of the website for which we search the competitors and choose a search engine:
- the number of common key phrases used during resource promotion;
- missing phrases used in promotion only by a competitor;
- the relevance of the competitor's website to the analyzed website in a percentage difference. The maximum value is 100%. It calculates the percentage of common phrases with the desired project to the number of all phrases of the competitor's website;
- the total number of the promoted resource phrases with an indication of their dynamics;
- visibility is a parameter that depends on the number and popularity of key phrases thanks to which the domain is in the TOP-20 in the search results.
If necessary, you can change the list of competitors by adding new ones or deleting those that are found automatically. It is advisable to remove the massive and most promoted resources from the list, such as YouTube, Wikipedia, Amazon and other websites that are not the main competitors of the analyzed project.
We also remove the resources that are promoted in other regions. You can add projects-competitors, found using other methods, or initially known to project owners. For example, online stores that sell similar products, if their offices/pickups are located nearby.
After changing the list, click "Apply":
There is another option for defining competitors through Serpstat. To do this, enter the high-frequency key phrase "Buy smartphone", select a search engine and click "Search":
Add six resources obtained through Serpstat to the list of competitors:
Attendance measuring services
Set up alerts by the key phrase "Buy smartphone" Customize the results to be sent as soon as they appear, we set the language to English and Region to "Any Region". All results will be sent to the email. Click "Create alert":
Competitors that run Adwords campaigns
Remove the duplicate results and stores identified by a single method, and get a consolidated list of competitors:
For Ukraine, the explicit main competitors of the Citrus online store are:
All these resources appeared in the Serpstat report, which can be used as the fastest and most convenient option for search and analysis of competitors.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)