|Serpstat updates||– 35 min read|
Serpstat Rank Tracker: A Complete Guide
You'll find it out if you read this article :)
Do You Track Positions In Another Service?
Rank tracker at Serpstat allows get the list of keywords for a project, analyze competitors' websites in SEO and PPC, compare their traffic, positions, and dynamic of keywords quantity.
To transfer projects to Serpstat, contact our technical support — they will assist you and explain the details.
The process will take about 2-3 hours!
Why Do I Need To Check Website Positions In Search Results?
Most SEO professionals select a list of 20-30 queries which they want to rank for in the top 10, and then monitor the position of the pages of their site in search engines for these queries.
However, this is not quite the right approach. Some keywords are likely to be missed, and you won't know the real dynamics of your development, especially against the background of other sites from search results. And the place on the market that you occupy will remain a mystery.
In Serpstat search engine rank tracking software, you can download the maximum number of keywords (depending on your pricing plan), divide them into groups by topics, and then track both the positions of your site and the positions of your competitors. You will receive all the summary information on the top 100:
- keywords positions in organic and paid search results;
- keyword distribution history;
- competitors data;
- market share.
Rank Tracker menu looks like this:
How To Work With The Rank Tracker
This is where the data for the selected domain will be stored:
- keywords from organic and paid search results;
- list of referring domains and pages;
- site audit data (which must first be launched);
- distribution of keywords by positions in the top;
- the number of shares of the domain's main page.
There are several ways to create a new project:
Option #1. From the homepage:
Option #2. From the homepage:
A pop-up opens with the entered project domain, substituted by the project name, which can be changed as you like. The project group is the default. It can also be changed.
After you have checked all the fields and made sure that everything is correct - click the Create button.
Option #3. In My projects:
From this dashboard, you can also launch a site audit and start tracking positions. Click Start Trackingbutton or the gear icon.
How To Set Up The Project?
#1: General settings
- project domain only
- whole site;
- by exact URL;
- by URL Prefix.
This feature is useful if:
- the project was created long ago, but the website moved to another domain, and you don't want to lose historical data;
- you have two sites on different domains, but you use the same keywords to track positions. The first domain is a mirror of another and, in fact, leads to the same site, but there may be links to one or the other.
- by days of the week;
- by days of the month.
Advantages of manual position check:
- in manual mode, you can select only those regions and phrases you want to get current positions for;
- manual mode will allow you to check the project positions even several times a day;
- if there have been changes on your site recently and you need to check the current positions, our manual update will solve this problem.
#2: Search regions
- desktop organic;
- mobile organic;
- desktop paid;
- mobile paid.
The list of countries becomes available after selecting a search engine and depends on it.
When you select the Yandex search engine, the "Region" field is not displayed.
The list of cities becomes available after selecting a region in the previous field. Optional for Google, but required for Yandex. This is due to the feature of the settings: in Yandex you can see the search results only by selecting a city, you can't see the search results by country.
If you delete a search region that already had the data, and then add it again in the form in which it was originally, then all historical data on it will be available again.
If a region is deactivated, data won't be collected and no credits will be spent. If all search regions in the project are deactivated, data collection will stop.
The region can be activated again and data will be collected.
If users no longer work in a certain region, they can still see the data that they have collected and for which they paid.
General rules for keywords:
- The keywords must have less than 35 characters.
- Keyword should not consist of more than 7 words.
Keywords can be added to the project in several ways:
It is possible to connect expected URLs to imported keywords. A keyword can only have one URL per search region. That is, if we have three regions and one keyword in the project, you can add a maximum of three URLs, one for each combination of keyword + search region.
- ' -'
- '- '
- string == '-'
- '--' in string
Especially if you have a project with several topics or an online store. Thus, tags will help not only to look at data by groups of keywords, but also to manage them.
- Expected URL
If you added keywords to the project but forgot to add expected URLs and tags, then this can be done either through operations in bulk for all selected keywords:
By default, all phrases on the page are highlighted, and if necessary, you can choose the option - all phrases in the project. The counter next to the heading shows the number of selected keywords.
What Reports Are Available In The Tool
- Project selectionYou can go to other project.
- Credits meterYou can see the credits balance in the user account.
- SettingsGo to the project settings on the General tab.
- FiltersYou can filter the data by:
- best position;
- date added.
- Notes.Now you can leave notes in the project.
- Export.You can export reports in the format:
- selected domain;
- date or period;
- filtering by tag;
- filtering by region;
- Articles from the Serpstat blog.Here you can find all articles for the Rank Tracker tool.
- VisibilityPercentage of total visibility that selected domain receives for project keywords.
- Average positionAverage position among all the best positions in the SERP for the selected domain.
- SERP stormPercentage of SERP change in scope of project keywords.
- SnippetsThe number of snippets for the project keywords in which the selected domain was noticed.
- All keywordsThe default filter with which the report is loaded. The filter loads all the keywords added to the project, including phrases for which there is no data.
- Without changesKeywords that had a position, and it has not changed. Or, according to the phrase, the domain was outside the top and remained there.
Keywords that have no data are not displayed.
- Positions upAll the keywords for which the positions grew or the domain was out of the top and entered it.
- Positions downAll keywords for which positions fell or the domain was in the top, and then it fell out.
- Get inKeywords by which domain got in top.
- Get outKeywords by which domain get out of top.
- Out of topAll keywords for which the domain is out of the top for the last positions check.
If one day and several regions - the data is summarized.
- Tracked domainsDropdown allows you to choose regarding what we want to see the positions.
By default, the primary domain for which the project is created is selected. The dropdown displays both aliases and competitors added in settings.
- Date pickerAllows you to select a date or period for which data is needed. You can enter the period manually. In this case, if the positions check schedule was not daily, then the nearest dates within the entered period are automatically selected.
- Tag filterThe report is created for all keywords. A tag can be created locally in dropdown. You can create and connect tags in Settings via dropdown when importing phrases, in the Keywords tab next to the phrase or through Operations.
There is a separate category Without tags in the dropdown - it will help you find all the keywords without tags.
The counter will show how many keywords are attached to this or that tag.
Or, if there is one major project, and several experts are working on it. Not to manually select keywords, you can do this using tags. Even when exporting, the report is saved as the user sees it.
- Region filterBy default, the report is loaded with the first search region added to the project. The filter allows you to sort project data by several regions. You can display data for one region as well as for several ones.
- OperationsThe button is available only if at least one keyword is selected. It is possible to assign tags as well as clear selected keywords from tags, delete keywords and copy to clipboard.
- With one day selected, data for the day and the dynamics of positions with the previous check are displayed.
- With the selected period, the dynamics of the positions between the two dates within the period is displayed.
With one day selected, you can see a table of keywords, volume and positions for that day.
For the selected period, the table displays the columns for each day from the selected period in separate columns.
- KeywordsAll keywors of the project in the order in which they were added to the project. It is possible to sort alphabetically, but only if the report is filtered by one region. For several regions, sorting is not available.
- SERPYou can see SERP History report by keyword and selected organic search region. The report allows you to understand what happened with the search results in a simplified form.
You see dates of checks, domains and their positions are displayed.
- Snippet typeThis report displays the snippet icons that were found in the organic Google search for the keyword for the analyzed domain. If you select multiple dates on the calendar, the tool shows the presence of snippets for the last position tracking.
- Gray icon: the snippet was fixed by a keyword with a page of another domain.
- Blue icon: the snippet was fixed by a keyword with a page for the analyzed domain.
- Search regionsSerpstat displays a search region for which the data for this keyword is shown.
- PositionsThe position that the selected domain occupies for this keyword in the selected region (1 to 50 for Yandex, 1 to 100 for Google).
- X - for regions with context. It is displayed if the check has passed, but there was no context.
- NA - no data.
- VolumeKeyword volume by exact match in the selected region. It is possible to sort by volume in ascending and descending order.
- Position dynamics and storm by phrase graphsThe preview shows two charts in a smaller version - position dynamics for the selected period and a storm graph. This preview allows you to quickly visually determine if there were changes for the selected period.
- Positions dynamicsOn the graph, you can trace the entire history of the domain's transfer in search results.
- SnippetsSnippets for the tracked domain in SERP with the highest position. Color shows the change of snippet.
Title, URL, Description are displayed inside the snippet.
- StormThe value of the storm in % shows how much the search engine results for a given keyword have changed in a selected search region.
The dynamics are shown next to the previous value. If the project had only one check, then the block with the storm is not displayed. The value can range from 0% to 100%.
0% - no domain has changed its position;
0−40% - normal change in position;
40% −80% - serious changes are occurring in the ranking algorithm.
You need to check the storm for other keywords.
100% - none of the domains remained at their previous position.
Most likely, there was some kind of update in the search engine. It is necessary to monitor the news.
We take today's top 100 (Google) / top 50 (Yandex) and go to the positions:
- if the site's position has not changed - 0 points;
- if the position has changed, but the site has remained within the TOP-100 + | X | points, where X is the difference between yesterday and today's positions;
- if the site has got out of search results- +100 points.
- The result is divided by 10 000.
- Date addedHere is the date on which the keyword was added to the project.
- HeaderBuilt the same with the Keywords heading, except for the Add keywords button.
- Distribution:Choose the type of data display:
- range distribution;
- traffic distribution;
- visibility distribution.
- range distribution;
- My competitorsYou can select those competitors that we added through the settings in the Competitors in SERP block.
- Date pickerYou can select a period or date for the report.
- Tag filterAll data in the report will be built relative to the selected group of phrases using tags.
- Region filterYou can filter data by region.
We display only those keywords for which at least one actual URL was found in the search results. If the search result didn't have an actual URL, but at the same time the expected URL is attached to the keyword, then we still won't show it.
- HeaderSimilar to the Keywords heading, except for the Add keywords button.
- Quick filters
- All keywords. All keys by which the domain was found in the top are displayed. That is, if the expected URL was not found for the keyword, then the keyword will not be displayed.
- Expected URL attached. All keywords by which the domain was found in the top are displayed, but the expected URL is not attached.
- Without expected URL. All keywords by which the domain was found in the top are displayed and the target URL is set.
- URLs are different. All keywords by which the domain was found in the top and the URL with the highest position is different from the given.
- KeywordOnly those for which the domain was in the top.
- Expected URLThe URL displayed here is attached in the table or when importing in the settings.
- URL in SERPThe actual URL we saw in the SERP with the highest position. It is highlighted if it doesn't match the target.
- PositionsThe highest position of the actual URL is displayed.
- TrafficYou see the expected traffic for this request and the actual URL.
Speed up your search marketing growth with Serpstat!
Keyword and backlink opportunities, competitors' online strategy, daily rankings and SEO-related issues.
A pack of tools for reducing your time on SEO tasks.
Cases, life hacks, researches, and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries! Our editor will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)