|How-to||– 11 min read –||August 16, 2019|
How to analyze snippets in search results
Snippets and their role in website promotion
What are the snippets
What are snippets for in a search engine
Snippet forms the user's first impression of the website. It affects the CTR of the site in the issue and, as a result, is the source of search traffic.
Generate Code Snippets
This is an advanced Google snippet:
Snippet clickability in Organic Search or Search Engine Optimization(SEO)
However, over the past decade, several major studies have been carried out on organic CTR which allow us to draw certain conclusions.
The marketing giants AOL, Enquiro (now Mediative), Chitika, Optify, Slingshot, Catalyst, Caphyon investigated the snippet clickability in search results from 2006 to 2014 years.
In 2015, "Authoritas" company conducted an extended analysis of the snippets clickability in organic search. In this study took into account not only the CTR of the desktop issue but also the mobile version, as well as the "brand" and "non-brand" indicators. And what are the results?
How to analyze snippets in search
You need to see what the website snippets look like in a search, and determine:
- place in search results;
- relevance to request;
- appearance, attractiveness.
The header is the most noticeable element of the snippet. Basically it is formed from Title, so when analyzing it is necessary to look at the content of this Meta Tag. Main characteristics of a proper Title:
Navigation chain – URL (breadcrumbs). A "Beautiful" link gives the user more information about the sections of the website. When analyzing the snippet, you need to pay attention to the appearance of the link. If it looks unattractive, it is worth analyzing the structure of the website, setting up the correct operation of breadcrumbs and human-readable URL.
Even if the website does not have human-readable URL, but you configure the microdata of the breadcrumbs, the search system will process it and display it beautifully in the search results.
Why is it necessary to analyze competitor's snippets
- the appearance of the elements of the snippet (the presence of unusual characters, fonts);
- the content of the snippet elements (does the competitor use flashy, emotional headlines and descriptions);
- the regular or extended snippet uses a competitor;
- how your competitors use the entry on promoted keywords.
Serpstat will help you to find your closest competitors. The report of the "Competitors" service will show the most relevant competitors in the search results.
How to improve the snippet clickability
What indicators can affect the CTR snippet and how to improve them? There are two main factors:
Attractiveness is determined by several factors that need to be considered in more detail.
The first element is a data markup. It will allow search engines to highlight important information on the website and show it to users. Read more about markup in this article.
It is great for recipes:
To preview and edit the appearance, you can use the snippet generator - for example, a similar service.
- they are generated by search engines automatically, but the content can be influenced;
- attractive and original snippets will help to improve the clickability in organic search;
- when analyzing snippets, you need to look at the main elements: title, URL, description;
- the content of snippets can be influenced by changing the Meta Tags Title, Description, H1, H2;
- It is necessary to analyze not only our own, but also competitors' snippets in order to find fresh ideas for your website.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)