|SEO||– 20 min read|
How To Effectively Manage Your SEO Team: Asking Experts
How do you measure the results of your SEO team and individual members?
As a Product Manager, I prioritize the tasks for the team in alignment with business priorities, although this isn't without input from the team. At Booking.com, we put the customer at the center of everything we do, and all of us are working together to leverage their own special skill sets to accomplish this collective goal.
We measure the work of individual employees by where they're spending their time, how they're thinking about team challenges, and what they're doing to address them. Everyone here has specific focuses, and this makes it easy to hold ourselves accountable when things go particularly wrong or right.
There are two main KPIs which we track:
- organic traffic
- conversions from organic traffic.
Also, we have several individual metrics for each SEO area we work on:
- On-page SEO optimization — we check before/after improvements in terms of organic traffic change
- For off-page SEO, we track how many unique referring domains we gained (when it comes to off-page SEO, we create a different type of content — linkable assets, as we call them). We also check how powerful are these links, DA/DR metrics, are these links contextual, did they move the needle and helped that page rank better.
We tend to have two sets of primary KPIs:
These are KPIs that show us that our SEO health metrics are all going in the right direction:
- Rank for main converting keywords (local/organic)
- Rank for secondary benchmark keywords (local/organic)
- Majestic Citation Flow
- Majestic Trust Flow
- Majestic Trust Citation Balance
- Moz Domain Authority
- Moz Page Authority
- Moz Spam Score
We then track what we call real-world KPIs designed to tell us if the improvements in the SEO metrics are tracking to real-world results.
- Increase in organic traffic
- Increase in the number of pages on the site that generate traffic
- Increase in non-branded search traffic
- Percentage increase in organic conversions
- Percentage increase in traffic from specific geographic regions
- Organic Impressions (Search Console)
- Organic Click-Through Rate (CTR) (Search Console.
• Empower everyone to create their performance and task roadmap – you may know far better than I, what's essential and when it should be done. I want people to have the flexibility and freedom to choose.
• Reward value where it's due – some of the most crucial tasks in our department have no impact (at least not directly) on organic search performance. Nonetheless, they are critical in getting other things (that do have a direct impact) moving forward. Therefore, for those individuals that are great at moving these particular pieces, we put less importance on the traffic growth side of performance. In general, I want people to do what they do best and measure them fairly for those tasks, whether they impact performance directly or not. Because in the end, it's even the stairs to the ship that make its voyage possible.
Macro KPIs: these are the most important indicators of success.
- Conversions from organic traffic
- Total organic traffic
- Brand vs. non-brand
- Key pages
Micro conversions: these KPIs are generally campaign specific, and support the macro KPIs.
- Keyword ranking distribution/ trends (# in top 3, 4-10, 11-20 etc)
- Number of new referring domains built to priority pages
- User engagement (time on page, bounce rates etc)
Tip from Serpstat #1: Manage tasks
Which CRM systems do you use?
We have worked with a vast range of CRM systems - everything from Salesforce and Hubspot to bespoke CRMs.
Tip from Serpstat #2: Achievements of individual team members
Team Management mode has a feature that is extremely useful for you — the Team statistics section. You can monitor the progress of individual team member.
How do you build an incentive system and determine salary rates for SEOs?
In my team, we try to be results-driven. But when a team grows, all soft skills become essential: the ability to work in a team, culture fit, eager to learn, taking ownership and getting shit done – everything becomes important. As a team lead, I try to evaluate all these things and reward my team members when the time comes. Also, you need to set the right expectations to direct reports in the first place. What do you expect from them? What must be achieved to get a salary increase or promotion? Sometimes it could be a tough decision to make.
The salary rate in the Philippines is pretty straightforward and we work around or use that amount as a standard since we never hired SEOs outside of the company. All our SEOs have been internally trained.
How do your team members provide reports on their results?
That may include factors like quality, velocity and resilience; but I think it also encourages an environment where everyone is empowered to bring their ideas to the table to anticipate issues and solve problems. When we do this, we really are showing our best talent and feel more invested a given project.
As a Product Manager, I am not in the line of management of the team and within this structure, we are able to build trust and improve performance across the team because people are encouraged to raise their hand when they have an idea or solution.
On top of the KPI reporting, we also add clients to Asana Projects so they have visibility into what we are working on each month. We'll typically meet with clients bi-weekly to discuss progress, and address any potential bottlenecks.
Tip from Serpstat #3: Professional reports
So, your customer needs a report as soon as possible. No problem! In a few seconds you have the one with your beautiful logo.
Speed up your search marketing growth with Serpstat!
Keyword and backlink opportunities, competitors' online strategy, daily rankings and SEO-related issues.
A pack of tools for reducing your time on SEO tasks.
Discover More SEO Tools
Backlinks checking for any site. Increase the power of your backlink profile
API for SEO
Search big data and get results using SEO API
Competitor Website Analytics
Complete analysis of competitors' websites for SEO and PPC
Keyword Rank Checker
Google Keyword Rankings Checker - gain valuable insights into your website's search engine rankings
Cases, life hacks, researches, and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries! Our editor will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)