|How-to||– 11 min read –||November 6, 2019|
How to carry out a site usability audit
What is a usability audit
Checking the degree of convenience of the project with the help of a usability audit is an important task for both online stores and service sites since the number of orders on these resources is directly related to the convenience of the project for potential customers. The target audience shouldn't have difficulties in navigation, obtaining information about goods and services, placing an order.
Fixing usability problems will have a positive effect on website promotion: good behavioral factors are one of the criteria for ranking a resource in search results.
Usability audit should be carried out in the following situations:
- at the stage of developing a resource, when it is important to assess its convenience for visitors before launching a project;
- if necessary, increase the conversion level;
- in case of adding new features.
Website usability audit process
Diagnosing usability problems
To do this, go to the "Behavior" section and select "Overview":
In the "All Pages" section, you can examine the statistics for various site URLs in more detail:
How to check site usability using additional services
To get started, you need to create your five-second test:
Then you get a discount of $30 to hire participants or use the link to the test with your audience:
To install the heatmap, go to the "Plugins" section of the admin panel and select "Add New". Then find, install, and activate the required plugin:
Estimated page load speed
Independent usability audit of a resource
- each page of the project can be accessed in no more than four clicks;
- human-readable URLs are used.
- "breadcrumbs" (the path to the page through sections and subsections of the resource) are added;
- links are highlighted in the text, broken, and cyclic hyperlinks are absent;
- there is a site map;
- the link to the logo in the header of the site leads to the main page.
- the use of headings, subheadings, and labeled lists facilitates the text perception;
- the presentation style should meet the target audience requirements. Informal content can be appropriate in some situations, but a strict business language with a large number of professional terms can be needed in some other ones;
- to illustrate the material, you need to select the appropriate visual content such as photos, pictures, graphs, charts.
The attractiveness, simplicity, and accessibility of these elements are very important for effective work. In case of unsatisfactory conversion, it's worthwhile to conduct A/B testing to select the best design option objectively.
- site adaptation for mobile devices;
- the presence of a favicon that resonates with the logo of the site;
- the color scheme and style of the project, corresponding to its subject. To check for possible errors in color solutions, you can use the Checkmycolours.com service;
- readability of texts and inscriptions on menu items, buttons, widgets;
- intuitive pictures for menu icons — search, help, contact phone numbers.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)