|How-to||– 8 min read –||September 3, 2019|
How to implement Twitter Card markup on the site
What is micromarking Twitter Card
Although links from social networks do not add weight to the website, this does not mean that they do not affect the promotion. The links to the website that users post in their accounts are considered a mention for search robots.
Twitter has a slightly different microdata than other social networks but uses similar tags with Open Graph. This avoids duplication. Moreover, when the Twitter Bot crawler does not find the Twitter Card layout, it comes from the data that Open Graph structured.
This is how the Twitter Card layout looks:
Why do I need to configure the layout of Twitter Card
- twitter:card — is a necessary element that tells the system what type the card belongs to.
- twitter:site — is an optional element that attaches a tweet to a specific user of a social network, to its author.
- twitter:title — is a necessary element to register a title. The maximum amount is 70 characters.
- twitter:description — is description or short announcement. Optional, must be different from twitter: title. The volume cannot exceed 200 characters.
- twitter:image — allows you to mark the image that will be displayed in the snippet. Here you must specify the URL of the image with a size of at least 144x144, a proportional aspect ratio of 1: 1. The maximum allowable size is 4096x4096 pixels, weight up to 5 megabytes. Formats: JPG, PNG, WEBP, GIF.
- twitter:image:alt — is responsible for the textual accompaniment of the image, the name for the image, which briefly describes the contents.
An example of a fragment:
It is not recommended for Twitter to use common images: logo, author's photo card, other visualization covering several pages of the website at once. Make interesting illustrations that will intrigue or complement the recording.
For a complete list of recommendations, see the Twitter's Help for Developers.
You can also tag certain data independently from the pages of the site manually. To do this, find the index.php file in the root folder of the site and write the desired code in it, once for all pages. Micromarking for Twitter is used together with Open Graph, so they are usually placed next to them.
How to add Twitter Card micromarking automatically
For a WordPress website, the popular plugins for SEO optimization have such functionality — Yoast, All in One SEO others. Before implementing Twitter Card markup, you must enable Open Graph markup.
For OpenCart, you can use the module for these purposes Open Graph Meta. You can use for Joomla Tweet Cards.
Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress
All the actions taken are marked in the screenshot below:
All in One SEO Pack plugin for WordPress
In the settings for Twitter, specify the type of card, which can be a brief description ("Summary") or a description accompanied by a large picture ("Summary Large Image"). If you want to associate a post with its author, then indicate this in the "Show Twitter Author" field. The plugin also allows you to specify the website name and the account associated with the website.
Validation of a micromarking
Paste the URL of the page you want to test in the field marked in the screenshot below. After that, click on the "Preview Card" button.
As a result, you will get a preview of tweet, evaluate and edit its appearance in the user's feed.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)