How To Cannibalize Your Competitor's Organic Traffic Via Paid Search
I decided to go on with PPC posts.
This time I'm going to cover a little-known PPC strategy based on traffic cannibalization.
In this article, I'll show you a simple way to cannibalize your competitor's organic traffic by targeting the right keywords with PPC advertising. It's the easiest way to set up an efficient PPC campaign that will bring relevant traffic to your landing pages. It's the best fit for highly competitive niches with expensive keywords. Let's see how it works.
Determine key competitors
Enter your domain to Serpstat's search bar, choose the database and click on "Search." Then go to "SEO Research," and pass to "Competitors" feature. Sort the gained results by the "Relevance" parameter.
Collect the keywords to target
- Domain's position for a keyword → between →1 and 3;
- Keywords → does not include → brand name.
Thus we got an extensive list of keywords to target and draw competitor's organic traffic to your landing pages. Launch a PPC campaign using these keywords. Despite the fact that your competitors are in top of organic results, your potential clients will see your paid ad.
Pros and cons of this method
- Quite cheap. As the keywords we get via this method are not the branded ones of your competitor thus, they are low-competitive and cheap;
- No risks. You don't break any rules;
- Guerilla method. Your competitor won't understand why his/her organic traffic dropped dramatically.
- No results. You may find no keywords if your competitors already run PPC campaigns using their top organic queries;
- Irrelevant keywords. If your niche is extensive and you've tried lots of other strategies, there are high chances that you already use all relevant keywords and the ones left are inappropriate.
That's it! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions ;)
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)
Tariehk @ osiaffiliate
Awesome Strategy...thanks for all your strategies and I love your tool we are using it a lot at http://www.osiaffiliate.com and I will try this with our PPC
Alex - New Frontiers Marketing
Another excellent article Elena, please keep them coming :)
Thanks, Alex. I'm so glad to hear it! I'll do my best ;)
Have found some gold nuggets with this tip...
Glad you liked it ;)