What is the difference between Title and H1 and how to compose it
What are the differences between Title and H1
Here's an example of pages with Title headers in the search results:
The Title composition guidelines
- The average number of characters is 60-70, but more characters are also allowed;
- major queries are placed closer to the beginning of the header;
- the use of query enumeration is not recommended;
- the dilution of the major queries with low-frequency queries is allowed;
- the title should motivate the user to go to the website;
- transactional words like "price", "buy", "order" and so on should be used;
- it is advisable to capture as many queries from the page as possible;
- the headline should catch users' attention.
The H1 heading is created for the text section of the page. When reading it, it becomes clear to the user what will be discussed further. The purpose of the title is to motivate to read the text, purchase a product or service, or go to another page.
The H1 composition guidelines
- The length is usually up to 50 characters. The content may coincide with queries from the Title;
- the H1 header can be used on the page only once;
- the H1 subject intersects exclusively with what is discussed in the text section;
- you can't overspam with queries;
- you can use a frequent query that did not fit in the Title.
The Title and Н1 headers must not coincide completely. Although often they intersect in their meaning and contain identical queries.
Let's consider some examples:
Title: Buy a folding chair with delivery in Kyiv
H1: Folding chairs of domestic manufacturers
In this case, the first headline calls to go to the site and buy chairs, and the second one describes the information on the page.
Title: Educational toys in Moscow
H1: Educational Toys Store
Here the query "educational toys" intersects. The Title header uses a more frequent query, and the H1 contains a mid-frequency query that describes the content essence of the page.
Title: Puff pastry cakes: recipes with step-by-step actions, photos, and videos
H1: How to bake puff pastry cake. Popular recipes
This is an example of an information website. In the Title header, the phrases "step-by-step actions", "photo" and "video" were successfully used. These words expand the semantic kernel and increase the probability of a click.
It will become clear to the person what is on the page, even if he himself did not enter such a long query into the search. The H1 already directly summarizes the information that is submitted on the page in the shape of texts, pictures, and videos.
|Run Site Audit|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)