|How-to||– 17 min read –||November 19, 2019|
How To Check And Analyze Website Traffic Statistics: Beginner's Guide
This article will help you understand how to view and estimate the traffic to your website and the pages of your competitors.
What Is Website Traffic Statistics?
- Total number of website visitors.
- All actions visitors complete on the website.
- Your website performance.
- Results of website optimization and promotion.
Correct estimation and analysis of such data will help to find problems in your promotion strategy and make it more effective. Regardless of a web resource type – an online store or a simple landing page – you have to continuously analyze its traffic.
Why Do I Need To Analyze Website Traffic Statistics
Key Indicators Of Website Traffic Statistics
Tools To Check And Analyze Website Traffic Statistics
- Google Analytics is a must-have for any web resource. This is a free service that has almost everything you need to promote and optimize a website. If for any reason you haven't installed it yet, here is a link with a manual from the Google Analytics team.
- Search Console is a free service provided by Google that allows analyzing website SEO and performance. Follow this link for a detailed installation manual.
- Plerdy is a platform that helps to improve website UX and grow conversions. It includes several tools such as a click heatmap, PopUp forms, and SEO alerts. With over 80 features and capabilities for online marketers, Plerdy script takes less than 30 seconds to install. Follow the link, to learn how to install Plerdy.
Let's review each of the indicators based on the example of an online store of travel equipment. For a more detailed and in-depth analysis, we have selected the period from April 1 to April 30. Therefore, all the provided data is related to this period.
Sessions, Users, Pages / Session, Avg. Session Duration, Bounce Rate
Here are Sessions, Users, Pages/Session, Avg. Session Duration, and Bounce Rate for our online store in April.
- The website is popular with 148,933 user sessions per month.
- The number of sessions exceeds the number of users by 20%. This means that 20% of users may have visited the online store twice (or even more).
- The average number of pages per session is 1.29. We can assume that after visiting a product page, users proceed to the payment page.
- The bounce rate is quite high for this type of online store (82.52%). This means that only 17.48% of visitors stay on the website for more than 15 seconds.
- Session duration is also small – only 1 minute 11 seconds.
Here is the breakdown of traffic channels for the analyzed website.
Apart from the list of mail traffic sources, this screenshot also includes other indicators for every source. You can compare and analyze these rates to understand which traffic source is the most effective and which channel you may even ignore.
In this case, the organic search yields the best results, whereas email is unproductive.
Here is the statistics by device type for the online store of travel equipment:
To view the website position for keywords, go to Google Search Console > Performance tab.
In April, the average position of the analyzed online store was 27.7.
To view statistics for a separate page, click + NEW > Page:
Our online store of travel equipment had an average 4% CTR during the analyzed period.
To analyze the scroll depth of pages, you have to take the following steps:
Statistic Comparison With The Previous Period
To perform such an analysis, you will need to use Google Analytics and the following settings.
The analysis shows the following results:
To improve the current approach to website promotion or implement a new one, you should also know your competitors. Don't forget to regularly monitor and analyze their traffic.
Competitor Traffic Analysis
Plan for collecting information about competitor websites:
- Find your key online competitors.
- Select from 3 to 6 main competitors.
- Analyze website traffic of every competitor.
Find Your Key Online Competitors
How to understand who you are competing with on the web? Go to Google and search various keywords related to your business one by one. This will show you the general picture of the websites that comprise your business niche.
Still, this approach is quite time- and effort-consuming. Therefore, you can try special online services that can fully automate the search and analysis of competitors, such as Serpstat.
Select From 3 To 6 Main Competitors
Analyze Website Traffic Of Every Competitor
Serpstat is a multifunctional service you can use to learn more about your competitors. It's an excellent solution for in-depth analysis. With Serpstat, you can view which keywords another website uses for promotion, check its ranking, contextual ads, etc.
- Open SimilarWeb.
- Enter the URL of a competitor in the corresponding field.
- Analyze the results.
Apart from the total traffic of the analyzed website, this service also shows the sources of traffic.
Ahrefs is an online tool that can help you learn more about the link building (used to increase a linkmass) and content strategy of your competitors.
Perceive this data as a foundation that will help you develop an action plan for the future.
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)