|How-to||– 8 min read –||August 28, 2019|
How to create an XML sitemap for news
Using the map of news URLs, Google News is able to accelerate the search for news that is published. The search engine gets a direct URL for each news item, which increases coverage.
- the title and publication date of each article;
- using genres and access tags, indicate the type of content described in this article;
- The content of the article is identified using descriptions that are relevant to your keywords.
You must submit a request to add a news map to Google News. The advantage of adding to Google News compared to simple news map generation is a quick search of content in news.google.com.
How to create a map for Google News
The difference is in the tags that are used:
- YYYY-MM-DD, for example 1994-02-15.
- YYYY-MM-DDThh: mmICHP, date with hours and minutes, for example 1994-02-15T18: 21 + 01: 00.
- YYYY-MM-DDThh: mm: sHCHP, date with hours, minutes and seconds, for example 1994-02-15T18: 21: 30 + 01: 00.
- YYYY-MM-DDThh: mm: ss, sichp, date with hours, minutes, seconds and fractions of a second, for example 1994-02-15T18: 21: 30,45 + 01: 00.
For Wordpress sites, special plugins have been developed. You need to download the plugin XML Sitemap & Google News from the store through the admin panel, then activate it.
Recommendations for creating a news map
Make changes to an existing map by adding news. Remember that a card must not contain more than a thousand addresses. If you need more URLs in the sitemap, it's better to create several separate maps, and then combine them using an index file.
To do this, you need a document that, using tags, will group all site maps. How will it look in the code:
Google's map generator is not suitable for this, because when creating a map, not all news pages will be taken into account.
As a result, you should get a card that uses the sitemap protocol, for example, as shown in the code snippet:
- page addresses should be unique and permanent;
- do not forget to open the scan for search crawlers in robots.txt and do not block the scan with noindex / nofollow meta tags;
- Google News does not include audio files, multimedia — this means that the robot can only process accompanying text and video files from the YouTube system.
Before adding a new map, include your web property in Google News for publishers. Only approved users can send the card.
This will require:
If you didn't find your website in the service, make sure that the site is included in Google Publisher News and that your rights are confirmed in the console office. If the cause of the error remains unclear, contact support.
Among the common errors in news maps that should be addressed are:
- too many URLs;
- unknown news site;
- unknown source;
- invalid name;
- wrong language;
- lack of necessary tags.
- manually by uploading a list of Internet addresses;
- using online site map generators;
- through ready-made plugins for CMS.
Be sure to use tags for the news map: publication (name and language), publication_date, title.
Make sure your card meets all the technical requirements and send a request to be added to Google News. To do this, you should confirm your rights to the website through the Search Console, update outdated information, and wait for the moderation.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)