Creating A Killer Product Page For eCommerce Website: 7 Tips To Boost Conversions And Improve Rankings
URLs should be readable and informative
Here's how complete URL should look like (complete as in containing all categories and subcategories where the product is listed):
Don't create duplicate pages if your product is listed in more than one category:
To avoid this, Product Page URL should contain only constant parts that are common for all URLs:
Improving text relevancy
- Topical fields;
- List of stop words;
- Data on related searches from Google's SERPs:
Mandatory elements of a product page
- Photo of a product.
- Price and calculated discount.
- Expandable photos.
- Photos from different angles.
- Add to cart (buy) and bookmark buttons.
- Product options.
- Detailed description.
- Information about the purchasing process.
- Easily accessible contacts or support.
Catchy product photos
"Out of stock" product page
Matt Cutts in one of the videos on Google Webmasters' YouTube channel said that the best solution for the page with out of stock item for the big eCommerce website was using 404 error there. As for me, it seems quite irrational. When person sees 404 error the first thing that comes to mind is that the website is broken or something is wrong. There are great chances that after seeing 404 page a customer will leave this online store and choose another one for shopping. Seems that it isn't the effect you are waiting for.
Second mistake is not as crucial but very popular. A lot of stores simply make the listing inactive and put an "out of stock" tag next or over the price:
Seems like good stores have everything in stock, plus it's hard to search for products that are not for sale, so I couldn't find a decent example of a properly designed out of stock page.
Here's what every "out of stock" page should have:
- eye-catching "out of stock" sign;
- similar items;
- most popular items;
- items on sale;
- notify me button.
Additional value for product page. Case
Project: online shop selling dashcams.
- Low product page ranking.
- Content rewriting didn't give any results.
- Improving ranking of all product pages through backlinks is expensive.
- Text is not the best type of content for this type of wares.
- Users want to see the result, a video shot with a dashcam they're interested in.
- Videos will keep the visitors longer and improve behavioral factor.
- Add examples of a video to the Product Page.
- Take videos from manufacturer's youtube channels.
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)
out of stock - there are some idea -
we send info if
people which search this search this too
nice article really
Thanks for your idea, but it seems irrational, people who are searching for sneakers may also look for hoodies e.x. But this particular customer is interested only in sneakers so that you need to show only sneakers to him, not the hoodies.
Really good article indeed!
This post teaches everything to create a killer product page for
In fact, I really liked your idea of keeping the URLs short. I’m
following this practice since long and trust me it is easy to
remember such URLs.
All the 7 tips are super amazing and I just want to add the 8th one here.
In product landing page, you can also add “people also buy” section