|PPC||– 17 min read –||August 1, 2018|
How To Advertise On Quora: A Guide For Newbies
In this post, I'll show you everything you need to know to start advertising on Quora.
2. The structure of Quora Ads Manager
2.1. Ad account
2.2. Account structure
2.3. Quora Pixel
2.4. Marketing campaigns: clustering and types description
2.5. Ad groups: clustering and targeting types
2.6. Advertisements: types and demands
3. Creating marketing campaigns according to targeting types
3.1. Question topics
3.2. Users interests
3.3. Targeting particular questions
3.4. Remarketing lists
4. Summing Up
Who and why should advertise on Quora
But Quora is a Q&A platform so that it won't be handy for every business. The user's account reputation and the value of information plays an important role here. The key point of advertising is how useful and unobtrusive your ad is.
Quora will be useful for product companies, tools, and corporate sites. Selling socks via it isn't probably the best idea. Quora itself doesn't focus on e-commerce, and I'll get back to this later.
Anyway, you can test organic promotion on Quora and then decide whether to run paid ads or not.
The structure of Quora Ads Manager
There are four levels of Quora ads structure:
- Account: You need a Quora profile account to get access to the Quora Ads Manager and start running ads.
- Campaign: A campaign contains one or more ad sets and ads.
- Ad set: Ad sets contain one or more ads.
- Ad: The last level of ad creation process.
Nothing new, just a simple tree structure.
Marketing campaigns: clustering and types description
- On ad campaign level you can set ad campaign type (Conversion, App Installs or Traffic) and budget. So campaigns would be grouped by types.
- I also advise clustering campaigns based on the targeted countries. It will help in ad account navigation and budget allocation according to regions. Campaigns will look like this:
- USA / Conversion / Complete Registration
- UK / Traffic
- CA / App Installs
- On the ad group level you should include geotargeting and interests/topics/questions/lists targeting. Don't forget that rates in big cities will be higher than in small ones, so I suggest you to group them separately. Here's how my ad groups looks like:
- New York / Interests / Marketing;
- California / Topics / Marketing;
- Chicago / Questions / SEO.
There are 3 types of ad campaigns:
- Generate Lead;
- Complete Registration;
- Add Payment Info;
- Add To Cart;
- Add To Wishlist;
- Initiate Checkout;
Though, to assess the results, Quora is integrated with such systems as Kochava, TUNE, AppsFlyer, Adjust, Branch и Singular.
Ad groups: clustering and targeting types
Geotargeting. You can target ads to cities as well as countries. The first method is more relevant as it helps to control costs and ad effectiveness. You can put several countries/cities in one group. As I said earlier, you can set geotargeting and specific audience targeting on ad group level. You should take this as the basis of your group.
- Audience targeting. You can target ads according to the topics, users interests, discussions, and remarketing lists. We will dwell on each of these targeting types a bit later.
Ads: types and demands
Basic mistakes are:
- Both the heading and text must end in "." or "?"
- Incorrect/unusual use of capitalization (including abbreviations);
- Formatting or punctuation errors (no text in bold or italics);
- And of course, your text must comply with things you offer.
Creating marketing campaigns according to targeting types
How to choose targeting topics correctly? There are several ways:
- You can pick your essential issue, type it into the selection field and Quora will suggest you the variants of related topics:
- You can also use keywords. For example, enter your domain into Serpstat's search box and get a list of keywords that you rank for in Google:
The disadvantage of this method is a weak control of discussions where your ads will be shown. The platform will be following the appropriate user and as a result could show your ad in non-related topics.
To solve this problem, you need to exclude some topics or questions on the level of ad group setting. You can use methods described in the previous section to choose targeting interests.
Targeting particular questions
You have two ways to pick proper questions:
- Use Google Analytics data. This method will be handy for those advertisers who already use Quora for the organic promotion. You can select the answers that bring you traffic, and insert ads in the most effective ones.
- Use Quora top pages. Let's look at this method in details:
a) Identify your target keywords. You can use the method mentioned above: type your domain into Serpstat's search box and get the list of keywords you rank for in Google search.
You can add related questions to the same ad group, and Quora will create separate groups for each of them.
- Website Traffic. These are the users who have already visited your site. You can see who attended the whole site or particular pages.
- Lookalike. These are users similar to yours. This list is created according to your remarketing lists of site users.
- List Match. These are lists formed according to your clients' contacts. Currently, Quora recognizes only emails.
If you use remarketing lists targeting I advise you to exclude some topics, interests or questions on the level of ad groups settings. This process will help you avoid being shown at the non-relevant discussions.
And if you'll succeed in Quora advertising it will help you not only bring new clients but also improve brand recognition and enhance its loyalty.
This is very helpful...
Very interesting, thanks for the run through.
We're happy you liked it ;)