|How-to||– 5 min read –||September 2, 2019|
How to configure friendly URLs for page addresses
What are friendly URLs addresses, and why are they needed?
Search engine friendly (SEF) URL is an address that is convenient for both visitors and search engines. It should logically describe the structure of the site and the path to the page, be short. Here is an example of a beautiful SEO URL that meets all of the above characteristics:
Why do I need to configure the friendly URLs for page addresses?
Advantages and disadvantages of friendly URLs
The advantages of friendly URLs for site users:
- SEF URLs are pleasant to read and attract more attention;
- links are easy to remember;
- by the appearance of the link you can understand what information it contains;
- friendly URLs improve site navigation.
Advantages of friendly URLs for SEO optimization:
- you can enter query keywords in the friendly URLs;
- all URLs are spelled out in transliteration;
- the link displays the structure of the site and the path along with it;
- semantic URLs have a positive effect on the position of a site in search results.
Cons of friendly URLs:
- SEF URLs increase server load;
- if the site was not created through the CMS engine, then the friendly URLs for each page will have to be manually entered. CMS platforms provide the ability to automatically configure semantic URLs.
Customization of friendly URLs
- brevity and accessibility. Looking at the link, the user understands what this page is about;
- the structure of SEF URLs repeats the chain of bread crumbs or is interconnected with it.
What should be the length of the friendly URLs address?
Separators in the friendly URLs
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)