|How-to||– 10 min read –||September 5, 2019|
How to adjust static URL on the website
Why the static URL addresses are necessary
https://yoursiteadress.usa/catalog/coat/model-1/ — here everything is consecutive and legible. Both the contents and address of the page are invariable.
The dynamic address creates new URL and content under the consumers' queries. When there is a lot of such queries, it becomes more complicated to check the aspect of new parameters rise. And when filters and address sortings come into the game, the harmful GET-parameters are formed. Particular these parameters distort the address performance. Look at the following address:
https://yoursiteadress.usa/catalog/coat/model-1?color-black&size-m... – here is well-understandable that get-parameters are presented in the address. It could be the full set of those ones here.
Usually, you can sort goods in terms of filtration procedure according to:
PROS of the static addresses
CONS of the dynamic addresses
- Search engines, having found identical content to the different addresses, begin to group them. Later the search engines define one of such addresses as the most suitable for ranging. So, it is possible to gain the pages with rate equals to zero (0). For example, we have men's Adidas sneakers, the 40th shoe size, white color, made of chamois. Such page with such content will spend the link mass and the crawling budget. And at the same time, people will not search for this page in Google.
- The really huge expense of the crawling budget on pages which are less priority for SEO promotion campaign. Besides, such pages are at risk. Any person will be able to substitute values to your GET-parameters. It could cause the doubles generation and the later result – hacked website. At the same time, static URLs could help you to adjust the correct 404-error processing.
The static addresses are generally used for important pages for promotion: the main one, primary site sections, categories, subcategories, blog content.
The static addresses for the WordPress website
Open Settings panel. Here it is necessary to find the button "Permanent links". It is shown below how to make it (look at the presented screenshot):
- "Default" — forms the dynamic addresses.
- "Day and the name" — generates the address according to its date.
- "Month and name" — adds unnecessary parameter to the URL address.
- "Numeric" — does not allow us to place key phrases in the address.
- "Post name" — title-pages will be connected with the certain address.
- "Optional" — allows to set tags for address formation independently. For example, the categories will be added to the main address. It is necessary to set the following: «/%category%/%postname%/».
To adjust the most suitable URL addresses, it is better to use "Post name" option.
If permanent links in WordPress do not work, check whether 301-redirect from the old addresses is adjusted for new ones. It is necessary in case you run reconfiguration process for the addresses of already working pages.
How to adjust dynamic address processing correctly
- adjust processing of such addresses in Google Search Console;
- limit indexing in robots.txt;
- close these addresses from search robots with help of noindex meta-tag;
- adjust canonical addresses. Canonicals are not always in working condition because it is not a strict guideline, but simply the Google recommendations. It is the most optimal solution to use canonical paired with noindex. This decision will help you to prevent the doubles creation.
It is worth noticing that dynamic addresses are not the evil personification. They could be useful as well. The main task of IT-specialist is to avoid content duplication. The inefficient crawling budget expenditure is also ill-advised.
Do not close from indexation pages with promoted goods. You will save your long-tail queries this way.
It is possible to use Google Console for different configuration procedures.
The dynamic URL addresses configure processing for Google
If dynamic parameters do not influence the page contents, your work could be considered as the completed one. If parameters still change content, you need to specify some more parameters. Let's turn back to the screenshot and pay attention to the additional specifications:
Main advantages of the static addresses are:
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)