Who is a webmaster? The basics of the profession
Who are called webmasters?
Caution: website owners can negatively react to such a "webmaster" definition considering it more suitable for "affiliates".
Working as an in-house webmaster
What does an in-house webmaster do?
How to find a job in this industry?
- Monitor job posts on Indeed, Glassdoor, and other job marketplaces;
- subscribe to Facebook communities that post IT and freelancer jobs;
- monitor public pages and blogs on webmaster craft, SEO and IT as owners of website networks often look for webmasters there.
Ways to make money as a webmaster
- Get a full-time job and earn fixed remuneration.
- Work as an in-house specialist with the KPIs; that is, get bonuses for performing tasks.
- Take on single website improvements on a freelance basis (install plug-ins, fix layout, etc.).
Webmasters with their own websites
Where do we start?
Option 2. Buy a ready-made website on a marketplace and take on its development. Here are some popular marketplaces for buying and selling websites: Exchange, Flippa, Empire Flippers.
What does a webmaster do?
- looks for advertisers for their website;
- configures monetization and tests advertising blocks;
- deals with the audience, namely, creates social media communities of the website subject and configures push notifications and emails;
- looks for article authors and content managers and coordinates their work.
What does a webmaster make money on?
The more traffic, the higher the income and the more monetization methods you can connect to your website (affiliate programs, links, direct advertising, lead generation).
In general, the work of a self-employed webmaster can be described as follows: create a website using a free engine, think over the structure and functionality, fill it with useful content, acquire traffic, and start monetizing it.
And then work on improving the resource: publish new articles, find cool content and a way to present it in order to constantly return the audience to the website.
Go in-house or create websites on your own?
There is more freedom of action in creating your own websites, and your income is only limited by the capabilities and free time of the webmaster.
What to study to become a webmaster?
We will consider a set of basic knowledge that will be useful for every webmaster.
Working with popular CMS
Working in Google Search Console
Search engine optimization
Working in Google Analytics
For example, using Serpstat you can find out lots of interesting things about websites of your competitors, including their semantic kernels, traffic, and popularity on social media:
It is not required to know programming languages and layout subtleties. Nowadays, a webmaster is rather a competent manager who knows who and what to delegate in order to achieve a result.
It's worth trying to study this subject if you:
- have operational and analytical thinking;
- have experience in either IT or marketing, that is, you have at least one of the beginner competences of a webmaster;
- like the website industry, you are interested in how search engines work, and you would like to master monetizing websites via advertising and affiliate programs.
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)