Which website design to choose: template or unique
What is a website design template
Types of website templates
- PSD-templates for landing pages and standard website; a template with which the layout designer creates HTML and CSS files corresponding to the original design decision.You can buy a PSD-format template on specialized websites:
- Template websites in Drupal, Magento, Shopify, and Contao CMS systems. In this case, there is also a choice: buy a website design or download a free, which is a more common option. The source data is edited; it is possible to add the necessary functionality on your own.
Pros and cons of design templates
Pros of templates
If you don't have the budget and time to develop a unique design, the most appropriate solution is to buy a template. Additional advantages of design templates:
Additional advantages of design templates:
Drawbacks of templates
Online website builders
The platform has an extensive educational base, a video tutorial on how to create websites. You can choose the best template for any topic, as well as find a designer for your project.
Using this tool, you can make a website, portfolio, magazine, or other types of online publications. At the same time, the created design will be adaptive and user-friendly for all mobile devices.
You can attract designers working on this platform to help you create a project. You can find artists through the Readymag community on Facebook.
Advantages of website builders
- speed. You can get a finished website in just a few hours;
- price. You can create a website absolutely for free, using it on the website builder's subdomain;
- no programming or web design knowledge required;
- access to free styles, images, graphic elements.
Drawbacks of website builders
- the use of non-unique elements and templates that any other business owner can use on his resource;
- a large amount of generated HTML code that increases page loading time;
- editing is possible only on the service side. You cannot make adjustments manually;
- possible restrictions on the website structure, its content filling, additional features;
- linking to a specific website and system; in case it closes or becomes unavailable, you will have to completely remake your website.
Pros and cons of a unique design
Pros of a unique website design
- Individual website design is developed without any standard templates, taking into account all customer requirements set forth in terms of reference. In this case, it guarantees the uniqueness of the final resource and the creation of completely unique code and content;
- as a rule, a team of experienced specialists works on an individual design, who not only think through all the nuances of visual characteristics, but also create a website optimized for search engines, featuring a high usability level;
- professionals develop the design from the position of a harmonious combination of all the graphic elements of the website with the corporate identity of the company;
- the most unusual design ideas of the client can be embodied, and all his taste preferences are taken into account:
- unique website design is an integral part of the positive image of large companies that cannot afford to use low-cost standard solutions:
- you can also apply to freelance platforms to create a unique design; in this case, the price will be lower, but there are risks associated with the level of qualification, meeting deadlines, and the responsibility of the contractor.
Drawbacks of unique website design
- Taking into account the high prices and the long term development, this solution is not suitable for small companies, as well as in cases when the website is needed asap. Prices for the development of unique design can be too expensive, and the development period can take months:
- some technical nuances may not be taken into account or bugs may occur that you will find only when you start using the resource and will require additional work to fix them;
- complex conceptual design, despite its visual attractiveness, can cause difficulties for the average user, who ultimately prefer a simpler and more user-friendly website with a familiar template.
- buy a template design and use a ready-made website design;
- design it through an online builder;
- hire a freelance designer or web design studio.
The individual design developed by one or several specialists is necessary for more successful website promotion, emphasizing the unique corporate identity of the company, and maintaining a good business reputation.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)