|How-to||– 10 min read –||October 16, 2019|
What is targeted advertising on social networks and how to configure it
Traditional advertising, for example, on TV, radio, and in the media, covers all consumers including those who are not the target audience of the advertiser. The number of people who saw such an advertisement is higher which also increases its price. However, most of the impressions usually do not yield a response.
The advantage of targeted advertising is the opportunity to select a group of users potentially interested in your product. Such advertising is more effective in terms of conversions and budget expenditures.
What is targeting
Major advertising targeting options:
- interests or subjects;
- run time;
- behavioral targeting.
Advantages of targeted advertising
In addition, statistics from such campaigns help to determine how effective a particular targeting method is. If the subject group does not yield results, you can remove it from the settings of the advertising campaign and direct the budget to a more profitable user segment.
Targeted advertising has advantages not only for advertisers but also for consumers. The information space is overloaded with unnecessary information and advertising.
Targeted advertising allows users to more frequently see products of the interesting segment in the advertising stream, for example, in the Facebook news feed, videos on YouTube. Some resources provide the opportunity to choose the subjects of displayed ads.
Targeted advertising and types of business
- Local companies. Geotargeting involves the affiliation of the audience not only to a specific country but also to the city and region. For example, the owner of a car service, gym, a coffee shop can acquire local audiences within a radius of 1-5 km using the appropriate settings.
- Focused products or services. Most projects can be considered more or less centric. For example, young middle-income families renting an apartment may be interested in a website of a new residential compound, and cat owners may be interested in information about a hotel for pets during summer vacations.
- В2В segment. Enterprises are looking not only for retail customers but also for dealers, intermediaries, and business partners. It is advisable for open investment funds or franchisers to target advertising at beginner or experienced entrepreneurs, people with a fairly high level of income, and relevant interests.
Examples of targeted advertising
- advertising on social media;
- banner advertising on websites;
- advertising fragments in videos;
- advertising on mobile phones;
- paid search advertising.
In this case, an advertiser saves data about website visitors and targets advertisements on them as if they have not made a purchase yet, but were interested consumers. This is how retargeting works.
Display advertising settings on Google include the choice of websites for placing banners depending on the interests, demographic characteristics, and other features of visitors. Paid search advertising is also targeted. In the case of paid search advertising, targeting is carried out by keywords that users enter in the search bar.
Most online marketing services allow targeting by device, for example, displaying ads only to users of mobile devices.
How to set up social media targeting
Let's consider the most popular social media and the targeting features in each of them.
Targeted advertising on Facebook
The main advantages of advertising on Facebook include:
- Ads are placed in the visible part of the screen. Advertising appears not only in small blocks to the side of the page but also directly in the news feed, and that makes banners more visible.
- Numerous targeting parameters. Facebook's detailed targeting allows you to identify the clearest portrait of the target audience.
- High requirements for advertisers. To launch advertising on Facebook, you must comply with the rules of ad placement and moderation. A business page should inspire confidence, advertise officially acceptable products and services, use quality and informative advertising. These requirements also increase user trust in advertising.
How to configure targeted advertising on Facebook:
Targeted advertising on Instagram
A typical Instagram user is ready to perceive visual content. The Instagram audience usually view the news feed from a mobile phone several times a day.
How to configure targeted advertising on Instagram:
Targeted advertising on social networks is the result of an analysis that allowed us to identify user segments that are potential consumers of the advertiser's products or services.
This advertising generates target impressions, higher click-through rates and helps to efficiently spend the advertising budget.
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)