|How-to||– 14 min read –||September 17, 2019|
How to determine the procedure of the search engine optimization of a website
How to Start Website Optimization
The site owner should clarify the purpose of the website: sales, information, branding. Based on this, it will be easier for SEO specialist to understand whether it is necessary to change the CMS, the protocol from http to https, and whether to make a mobile version. Be sure to clarify the budget and the possibility of finalizing the current version of the CMS by developers.
Site Update Procedure
- identify pages that are useful to retain;
- make a semantic core - it determines the necessity, order, and priority of the structure change;
- if there is a need to move to another domain or https, get ready for this and move;
- conduct site usability testing;
- perform internal optimization, which is based on the Technical Audit;
- upon completion of the internal changes move on to the external promotion;
- introduce secondary and developmental tasks.
To determine where to start site optimization and what is the procedure for making changes, website analysis and technical audit are carried out. It starts with the most global, where web programming is required and proceeds to individual pages optimization. Therefore, the changes plan is divided into several blocks: priorities, secondary tasks, and developmental tasks.
Priorities are performed immediately. The secondary tasks are performed as necessary, the developmental tasks are planned for clearly defined periods.
SEO Specialist Priorities
Semantic Core and Site Structure
In order not to lose your SEO ranking, it is desirable to keep the structure as close as possible along with the page and file addresses.
Recommendations When Working on Site Structure Changes
It is desirable that each page has its own keys that are not duplicated on other pages. Otherwise, pages with the same keys will compete with each other in the search engine results page. Only one of them will be shown.
- when generating and writing meta tags;
- when preparing content for landing pages;
- when linking;
- when performing external optimization and forming a user-friendly URL.
Internal Site Optimization
Let's list several major factors that are included in the audit unit.
- reduce image size;
- put the scripts in separate files;
- reduce server response time.
- "Contact us" block;
- logo and name;
- product cards, etc.
- identify the most visited pages;
- explore page scroll map and link heat map;
- how much time does the user spend on the site;
- how many pages are browsed per session and how the indicator has changed;
- actions that precede target action;
- regions with more conversions;
- at what stage users close the registration page, if it is multistage, etc.
- The Title must be unique for each page and corresponding to its content. When compiling it, a high-frequency query is placed at the beginning or as close as possible to it, but the sentence should be readable.
- The Description is a unique, concise, attractive description of the text on the page. When writing it, add key phrases or symbols, emoji - they are noticeable on the results page, but it is important not to abuse them.
- The heading <h1> is placed at the top of the page, a key phrase is entered into it and it should be readable.
This is checked by PageWeight.
Before choosing any plan, it is necessary to determine which queries or pages need to be promoted in this way. You can use one of the linking plans:
- hierarchical. The main page links to sections and sections link to content pages that link to the main page;
- star. It is built so that all pages of the site link to each other;
- ring. It is often used for high-frequency phrases, where all pages of the site link to the section being promoted.
At the same time, informational articles are being prepared. They will be posted in the sections "Blog", "News", "Interesting". Their goal is to help potential buyers with a choice and to expand the semantic core.
Text, which is hidden from users but accessible to search engines should be removed.
The correct file name is "vaza.jpg", and "1.jpg" is the wrong.
Add ALT attributes to images. The main task of alt tags is to ensure that search robots understand what is shown on the image.
In order to compose them correctly, write only what is really on the picture, without unnecessary words and spam with key phrases.
Working with robots.txt and Crawl Budget
What you need to close for the search robot: administrative sections, filters, cache. This is written in the "Disallow" line. If the file does not exist, it should be created in any text editor - Notepad++, Sublime Text.
The crawl budget is the limit of resources to crawl the pages of the site that the bot will crawl. Its budget to crawl the site. In order for the robot to crawl only the necessary pages, sitemap.xml and robots.txt should be properly configured. Errors will lead to the fact that the search engine will leave the site, scanning only part of the content.
- adaptability to mobile devices;
- easy language switching;
- intuitive buttons;
- site map;
- logical distribution of site sections;
- order form clear button;
- site search;
- sections of recently viewed pages, if we are talking about an online store;
- pass-through main menu;
- possibility of one-click order and adding goods to favorites;
- feedback forms;
- product filters;
- easy authorization via social networks or account;
- full product specifications.
For example, placing an order in an online store will not be comfortable without a shopping cart, feedback forms.
Website usability shouldn't be postponed, otherwise, the bounce rate will be bad, and the ranking will not increase accordingly.
External Site Optimization: Stages
If there are links: each link is considered individually, whether there is any benefit to the resource and compliance with the topics.
If the link was published through the exchange: you may be able to edit it and put it on another URL.
If the publication of links agreed directly: it will be more difficult to redirect them, you will have to contact each webmaster. It can be long and costly, so if you decide to change the structure or domain, be ready to sacrifice link weight.
Secondary Tasks of the SEO Specialist
The difference between secondary tasks and developmental tasks is that the former ones are carried out as far as possible, for a limited time. Development implies the introduction of a non-urgent nature, which will be implemented within the planned time frame or upon achieving the project objectives.
Example of tasks for the site development:
- introduction of new sections that are not relevant now, but the situation will change;
- launch of new products and services on the site;
- improving usability factors.
Classification of tasks is always based on the project objectives and is built individually. It is important not to neglect the order of making changes, but to plan everything as a check-list. This will allow you to work more productively:
- track the status of the implementation of the tasks for introducing changes on the site;
- keep notes on tasks. They will help you explain the situation to the employee and the owner;
- do not lose sight of the tasks on the site, meet deadlines.
- analysis of the project and its competitors, risks;
- creating a plan and classifying tasks by priority;
- change of CMS, protocol, creating a mobile version, etc.;
- semantic core building, structure refinement;
- internal optimization;
- external optimization;
- secondary and developmental tasks introduction.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)