|How-to||– 10 min read –||August 16, 2019|
How to create rules for adding content to your website
What does the content manager do
It is important that it will be high-quality, diverse and unique, providing high positions in search engines and active visiting of the resource by the target audience.
Competent work of this specialist affects the success of the project promotion. In case of errors in adding content, sanctions from the search engines are possible: reducing the resource position in the results, selectively or completely excluding the pages of the website from the search results.
To determine how to write content for the website, a regulation is created which describes all the important points that need to draw attention. In addition to the editorial rules or style rules (stylebook), such a document may also contain a list of sources – information, where to get content for the website.
The regularity of creating materials should also be specified, since the frequency of updating the site affects the ranking in search engines.
Signs of quality text materials
Uniqueness and meaning of the text
Using of non-unique texts from other websites leads to sanctions: Panda filters from Google. To avoid such problems, you must follow the recommendations of Google to create high-quality sites with unique materials that are of interest to users.
In addition to the sanctions of search engines, using other materials violates copyright law and may cause legal proceedings with the copyright holder.
Lack of text reoptimization
Literacy and style
- use for all pages the same sets of typefaces, a certain selection of important text and color accents;
- adjust the length of the string, which should facilitate readability and not be too long;
- establish common values of intersymbol and line spacing to improve the visual perception of the material;
- apply the specified font sizes , for example, the headings need a larger size, and so on.
Optimal text length
An analysis of more than a million articles showed
You can get text length recommendations using the Serpstat "Clustering and Text Analytics" tool. First , you must create or import a semantic core and cluster it using this module.
After that, it is possible to select the cluster analysis and click "Start text analytics":
- in order to familiarize the reader with the topic of the article, at the beginning of the article set out brief introductory information and adding content;
- the material should contain informative headers h1-h6. Each page uses only one h1 header. The remaining subheadings are added in compliance with the correct ordinal nesting;
- the texts within subsections are divided into small paragraphs;
- both readers and search engines are well aware of lists and tables.
Signs of quality graphic material
The uniqueness of graphic content
Non-unique images can be made unique by processing in a graphic s editor: for example, cropping, transformation, splicing of several images. You can check the uniqueness of images using the services: use the search in Google Images. You can find a link to the original of this image by adding the desired image:
- slide show;
If you haven't created any graphic content yet, pay attention to the list of tools to create infographics.
SEO image optimization
- title - a brief hint for users about the posted picture. Occurs when you hover over an image;
- alt - an alternative text that is indexed by search engines and is used to determine the content of the image. It is shown on the website instead of a picture
,if the user turns off the display of images in the browser, or when the page loads slowly.
We recommend using concise descriptions, the attribute length should be up to 100-150 characters, one key phrase can be used, however transactional words such as "buy", "price", etc., are undesirable.
Audio and video
Marketing research on video content, conducted in 2018, found:
- 78% of Internet users watch videos every week, and 55% daily;
- 58% of respondents say they prefer watching videos to reading text;
- 55% of people retain attention when watching videos - this is the highest figure among all types of content.
Statista research shows that audio content is becoming an important channel for interaction with the audience: 45% of Internet users around the world between the ages of 25-34 listen to podcasts.
The following types of video and audio content can be added on your website:
- audio and video instructions;
- interview records;
- animated films;
- virtual tours and more.
- uniqueness of materials;
- usefulness and clarity of the content for users;
- literacy and a given style of texts;
- design that promotes readability and perception of textual information;
- adding optimized graphics;
- using high-quality audio and video materials to attract a wide audience.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)