|How-to||– 9 min read –||October 16, 2019|
How to create an advertisement in Google Ads to increase the clickthrough rate
Let's figure out what you need to know and consider in order for your advertisements on the Google search network to be as effective as possible.
Before you start creating advertisements, you need to:
- examine the product/service;
- analyze the market and competitors;
- create a unique selling proposition (USP);
- identify the target audience;
- work out the semantic kernel;
- work out the structure;
- group keywords;
- analyze competitor advertisements.
Let's analyze the key points of this algorithm in more detail.
How to analyze competitor advertisements
The first one is very simple: we type a query that will be in keywords and look at the Google search results. Then we study what are the advertisements, competitor USPs, etc.
The second method is more interesting since you can analyze data not only by key queries but also by competitor domains. To do this, you can use the Serpstat API and upload all the advertisements to Google Spreadsheets where you can easily copy them from and compare.
What can it be used for
Features of displaying text advertisements in search
Responsive search ads
This can be done in one of the headers and in one of the descriptions. It is not recommended to pin more elements since in this case the meaning of the responsive advertisement is lost because its advantage is precisely in the fact that the system selects various text combinations itself.
How to make your advertisement visible and increase your clickthrough rate
It is also possible to specify conditions in the rules to show a certain offer only to those visitors who, for example, added a product to the basket but did not complete order. You can see an example in the picture:
Feed ad customizers
Conditions for displaying ads with these modifiers:
- for each modifier there is a default value in case there are problems with the substitution of data from the feed;
- in the group where this ad is included, there are also regular advertisements (without modifiers);
- the restrictions on the number of characters are met when substituting values that replace the modifier;
- Google's editorial and professional requirements are met.
Modifiers cannot be stopped separately from advertisements. If necessary, you can temporarily disable them in two ways:
- Pause the ads in which these modifiers are configured.
- Delete business feeds referenced by modifiers.
For example, to disable a modifier in one of the ad groups, delete the rows that target this group.
What else can be written in Google advertisements
How to create ads for mobile users
Why sometimes part of the text is reduced to (...)
- on mobile, the "Call" button can replace part of the advertising text;
- the text has a lot of wide letters (for example, "w") and a few narrow ones (like "g"), and the title does not fit the screens;
To avoid that, reduce the total length of both headlines to 33 characters.
Google Ads extensions
In some cases, it is recommended to disable automatic extensions since Google composes them itself and they do not always show what is worth displaying. I recommend controlling the extensions and specifying only those that will help visitors find answers and not distract them from the goal.
The example below shows the types and examples of extensions in advertisements:
In this article, we've explored how to increase the clickthrough rate of advertisements (CTR) by analyzing competitors, configuring responsive ads, using keywords, functions, modifiers, extensions, and other tools.
Eventually, the performance of each tool and the overall payback of paid search advertising depends on the specialist who launches it and the customer who orders it.
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)