|How-to||– 9 min read –||September 18, 2019|
How to combat comment spam to avoid search sanctions
Comment Modules: Types and Features
Since not all visitors want to waste time on this, webmasters started choosing alternative options more frequently, i.e., third-party commenting services.
Besides, they have more features. They allow you to:
- simplify sign up process;
- engage the audience in the discussion;
- use visual content.
Using these services, you can set an automatic moderation that removes spam.
Why you need to moderate comments
What is bad about comment spam
- It reduces the content quality and the overall website ranking;
- it disturbs visitors and makes them annoyed. This can have a negative effect on behavioral factors;
- it generates side traffic related to inappropriate content. It also slows down the page loading speed.
You can use the commenting services and their moderation systems with spammer databases that automatically reject spam.
There are paid and free comment systems. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. We will have a look at Disqus, Cackle, and Facebook.
You can comment on posts both on the website and on the Disqus platform. You don't need to sign up; you can do this through Google or Facebook profiles or pass registration once and comment on any website with Disqus.
- the widget is actively used on home and foreign websites;
- comments are indexed by the search engines;
- it is easy to monitor analytics on a discussion in the profile;
- built-in captcha, protection against bots.
Free for blogging. Paid for commercial websites. You can use the free trial period up to 30 days.
How to install Disqus
- click "Get started" and select "I want to install Disqus on my site";
- indicate the website name and choose the category;
- select a plan;
- specify the platform on which your site is running, for example, WordPress;
- if it's not there, you can install Disqus on the site manually with Universal Code. In this case, you will need to place the code fragment yourself.
Setting comments in Disqus
- Check the box "Enable recommendations for your site";
- specify the language of comments;
- go to the "Community" tab and select which comments to be displayed first, new or old;
- indicate whether anonymous visitors can participate in the discussion;
- check the "Enable Media Attachments" button so that visitors can add media files to their posts;
- check the "Flagged Comments" button so that users can notify the moderator about spam.
You can moderate comments not only through the widget but also through email. Just reply to the message about the new comment:
- "Approve" to approve and post it;
- "Delete" to delete;
- "Spam" to send a comment to spam.
- Disqus places affiliate links in the comments, as this is one of the possibilities of monetizing the system;
- there are other ways of involving the financial part in the system, for example, sponsorship comments, which allows some kind of advertising;
- there is the cookie tracking function in the settings, which is enabled by default. This is not suitable for everyone since you need to publish a policy for the processing of personal data.
- comments published through this service are indexed;
- analytics and API for developers;
- five days free trial period.
How to install cackle
- choose your CMS;
- install the plugin or use the special code, which you will need to transfer manually to your site.
Setting comments in Cackle
- enable pre-moderation of all user comments that contain links;
- select the maximum number of comments on the page in the "Appearance" tab, so as not to impair website usability;
And last but not least, activate the anti-spam service.
You can moderate visitor entries directly in WordPress or on the Cackle platform in your profile.
Facebook comment plugin
It's also easy to view posts that other users have claimed about. One or more moderators can work in the plugin. It's easy to ban users from the service:
User comment moderation tips
The easiest way to moderate them is by using automatic commenting systems. They have built-in tools that prevent spam and allow the user to participate in the discussion without signing up.
Popular services that you can use:
- Disqus. Suitable for all websites. It adapts to different device screen resolutions, has captcha confirmation, allows you to add media files to comments. There are several plans. You need to pay from $9 for 30 days for a commercial website.
- Cackle. It works with many social networks. The service is paid, from $3 per month. It also includes cross-sharing comments and multimedia.
- Facebook. This is a free widget, and only Facebook users can use it to leave comments. It supports cross-sharing.
This article is a part of Serpstat's Checklist tool
|Try Checklist now|
Learn how to get the most out of Serpstat
Want to get a personal demo, trial period or bunch of successful use cases?
Send a request and our expert will contact you ;)
Cases, lifehacks, researches and useful articles
Don’t you have time to follow the news? No worries!
Our editor Stacy will choose articles that will definitely help you with your work. Join our cozy community :)